Friday, January 18, 2008

Please Sony....be reasonable

I bought a PSP, actually someone bought me a PSP as a gift. Would I have spent my own $199 on a PSP? That's a tough question. The PSP has been out for nearly three years now and by most accounts has not been a huge success. If you compare it to the sales of its nearest rival, the Nintendo DS, then the PSP is an utter failure. If you own a PS3 though, the PSP may actually be worth it.

I primarily bought mine to use with the PS3 remote play, which works amazingly well. You can save music and video on your PS3 and play it remotely using Wi-Fi on your PSP. It looks and works great, I wish it could stream video from a Blu-ray disc or even a PS3 game. Sadly, that looks to be either not possible or counter to Sony's mysterious ambitions.

Which brings me to this point, if the PSP has "failed" as a game platform then why not turn it into a kick ass media player. What needs to change in order for this to happen?

  1. Better native format support....especially Divx/Xvid and x.264. Hell, why not throw in quicktime while you're at it.
  2. USB host support. Yes Sony I have seen through your "subtle" plot to shove MemoryStick up my ass. But if I could use one of my numerous 1gb-16gb USB Flash drives with my PSP that would be fantastic. What's more important MemoryStick sales or PSP sales?
  3. Better browser support. Why not license Opera or something with better plug-in support.
  4. Support for NFS or SMB shares over WiFi. That goes for the PS3 as well, DLNA support is great but I want easy access to my existing Windows Media Center file shares.
Now there is a pretty active homebrew community for the PSP and some of those things are available if you use hacked firmware. I'll do it if I have to, but I shouldn't have to.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin