Friday, January 25, 2008

I got called out

Someone finally called me out on something that I have done for years. I was beginning to wonder if any would ever notice my explicit use of the word "should". Look at these two sentences:

I will have that done tomorrow.
I should have that done tomorrow.

Now in that situation what I'm saying is that there's a 50% chance that it WILL NOT get done tomorrow. I could use the words "might" or "may" in that same sentence but those words make me sound doubtful that I'm actually going to meet the deadline. Whereas "should" has a ring of confidence about it, a kind of reassuring tone. It's really total bullshit.

If you hear me use the word "should" then realize that I'm already planning an excuse for why I didn't get the task done, plan accordingly.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin