Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Australians are a bit odd

I mean look at this. These 'Ute things sell like hotcakes in the Land Down Under and I think they are the most wretched abortion of automotive design that I have ever seen. They look hideous enough as two doors but add another set of doors and you may as well park this thing under a bridge. Don't get me wrong I like the IDEA of the 'Ute and the utility of it is intriguing but man are they ugly.

Ugly does not sell.

For example, the Subaru Baja. This was based on the fantastic Legacy platform but managed only a fraction of sales of its Outback stable mates. I mean 30,000 cars in 4.5 years is abysmal for a company that sold nearly 200,000 cars in 2008 alone. Why was it a poor seller? LOOK AT IT! Under that disgusting body is a well made, reliable and safe Subaru Legacy.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin