Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The music

I stumbled across this article about great songs and it started my mind reeling about music. For what ever reason, probably some kind of mental illness, I associate significant events or periods in my life with particular works of music. This has led me to have a very diverse and seriously eclectic taste in music. So with that list in mind I started thinking about bands, songs and albums that I feel have gone much unknown or unappreciated. A lot of these bands are no longer together so their existing works are all there will ever be. I've created a Seeqpod playlist for some of the songs below.
  • Failure - Fantastic Planet, the whole album is great but the song Stuck On You is an anthem for anyone that has ever been totally in lust with someone.
  • Travis - Most of their albums are fantastic but 2000's The Man Who is just beyond great.
  • Fountains of Wayne - Everyone knows them (now) for Stacey's Mom but their older stuff is way better, like Sink To The Bottom.
  • Keane - Hopes and Fears, This is a great album if you like Radiohead or any of their "fanbands". The followup album Under the Iron Sea wasn't nearly as good though.
  • Lazlo Bane - 11 Transistor, long before they became known for providing the theme music to Scrubs they released this fantastic album. Mostly known for an awesome cover of Men at Work's song Overkill this album was way better than just one cover song. Midday Train still moves me to this day.
  • Portishead - While I wouldn't say they've gone unnoticed they surely haven't gotten the fame they deserve. Turn down the lights and listen to Live: Roseland NYC....makes me want to spend thousands of dollars on better speakers.
  • Ozomatli - Ozomatli, Latin Jazz fusion with some hip hop influence. This album is amazing but don't bother with the rest of their catalog, they could never match the unique flare of their debut. I got to see them live on the tour for this album and they were fantastic and really nice guys.
  • Poe - Haunted, talk about a unique album. Most people only remember her for her debut single Hey Johnny but this album is a whole different kind of experience. The songs are very personal and it almost feels like your reading someone's diary in musical form.
  • Air, Im'not sure why Air isn't bigger in the U.S....maybe they are and I just don't know it but it seems like no one I ever talk to has ever heard of them. The 10,000hz Legend and Pocket Symphony are my favorites but its all good. Best enjoyed when you've got time to just sit back and relax.
  • Cracker - Kerosene Hat, Old school 90's alternative. I love this album so much, so many memories.
That's enough for now I think.


SeeqPod - Playable Search

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin