Thursday, May 22, 2008

More digital crack

I've fallen down the rabbit hole this morning and got sucked into the world of Twitter. Just following the guys from TRS and other Revision3 shows and I've determined that I wish I was interesting enough to use it.

Anyway, Dr. Tiki from TikiBar TV has a twitter feed and he posted the following, "OMG, it just occurred to me that new media is just public access tv. Without the budget."

Now that is an interesting thought but I somewhat disagree. I think YOUTUBE is like public access but shows like TikiBar TV and all the Rev3 shows are evidence of how brilliant people with modern high tech equipment can produce something amazing even without much of a budget. Even though I get the impression that Rev3 is doing pretty good money-wise.

Think about what you really need. A decent computer with video editing software, lets say a fast Mac with Final Cut for about $5000. A nice HD "Prosumer" camera, lets say $2000. A mixer and some decent microphones, lets say $1000. And a sheet of green cloth if you want to do some serious CGI style stuff. With $8000 and a good idea you could really do something entertaining that could reach thousands of people or at least get a good start. That's assuming that you have a shred of talent...unlike most of people on YouTube using their $100 web cams to do movie reviews.

The most expensive part would be the hosting/bandwidth, that could get scary if you get popular.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin