Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Math sucks

Every time I pump $60 worth of explosive liquid into my car I start thinking about electric cars. I may have mentioned at one point my concern that the electric grid didn't have the capacity to handle millions of Americans charging their electric cars every night. I couldn't find any readily available numbers and I sure as shit wasn't going to try and calculate that on my own. This morning I stumbled on some numbers on wiki that translated Gasoline usage as a number in electrical wattage. I then found some numbers about the US electrical capacity. Keep in mind the sources of these numbers but it is pretty interesting.

Basically, gasoline used for transportation accounts for 600 gigawatts of power burned in the US every year. Compare that to the total generation of power in the US in 2005 of 4,054,688 Gigawatt-hours. That makes the amount of capacity to charge electric cars seem insignificant.

So where the hell is my electric car bitches?

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin