Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Donations accepted.

If any wants to make me a very happy boy then I'll take a new 27" iMac. For the first time in my life I'm looking at Apple computers and trying to justify that $2400 really isn't too much money for a desktop PC. Let's see just how cheaply I could "build" my own version of the 27" iMac.

Let's compare:
  • 27" iMac
  • 2.8Ghz quad core i7 cpu
  • 8GB of 1066 DDR3 RAM
  • 1TB HD
  • ATI 4850/512MB video card
  • That's $2400 total
Newegg built PC with very similar specs.
  • 27" Acer monitor (slightly lower resolution than the iMac)
  • 2.8Ghz quad core i7 CPU
  • 6GB of 1333 DDR3 RAM (runs triple channel, 3 DIMMS)
  • 1TB HD
  • ATI 4850/1GB video Card
  • Antec P183 case
  • Windows 7 Ultimate
  • I also threw in the other stuff the Mac includes like wifi, bluetooth, a webcam, a wireless mouse/keyboard and DVD burner.
  • That's $1885 with shipping.
So I'm paying a $500 premium for the OSX operating system and form factor....that's pretty excessive. Not to mention that I could buy and install a faster video card or bigger HD in the PC if I wanted. Fucking Apple...you are so lucky that you've got great marketing.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin