Monday, February 2, 2009

FaceCrack

You realize that Facebook is a fucking cult right? Here's some warning signs:

  • All your friends are trying to convince you to join but they can give you no compelling reason to do so.
  • You can't see what it's all about until your you sign up....can you say Scientology?
  • It's run by a egomaniacal asshole.
  • When you use Facebook you have to wear a robe and chant. (I may have made that one up)
Personally, I think Facebook is the harbinger of the end of the Internet as we know it. It's like going back to using AOL where some corporate entity wants you to stay in their little "walled garden" so they can plaster as many advertisements as possible in front of you. You will suckle from the teet.....

What is the point of Facebook? Here's my opinion in a little point/counter-point.

  • Facebook let's me chat with all my friends! You mean like instant messenging or email? That's original.
  • Facebook let's me share pictures with all my friends! You mean like Picasa, Flickr or anyone of a dozen non-cult websites?
  • Facebook tells my friends when I'm online! Great, you enjoy being stalked by the masses?
  • Facebook let's me "friend" people so that I can be part of some sycophantic competition to see who has more "friends"! You really answered that one yourself didn't you.
  • Facebook let's me get in touch with people I haven't talked to in years! If they were interesting enough you would have kept in touch some other way...they're probably all dog rapists or serial killers now anyway.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin