Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Very interesting

Here is another fantastic TED lecture. Stewart Brand is one of the fathers of the modern Environmentalist movement. Some of things he advocates are considered heresy by some of his younger compatriots but to me his ideas make far more sense than leaving in a yurt and eating raw vegetables. Maybe there is something to be said for the measured wisdom of old age versus the mindless thrashing about of the younger green movement generation.



I love how people are finally realizing that the evil specter of nuclear power is now considered more environmentally friendly than burning trillions of tons of coal every year. The concept of geoengineering is fascinating and will probably end up being one of the fastest growing fields of study over the next century.

2 comments:

James Aach said...

FYI: One of the issues Mr. Brand discusses is nuclear energy. For my recent book on the topic he was also kind enough to provide a back cover blurb. One of the problems with thinking about nuclear power is that most people have no real world experience to go on - just academic papers and propaganda from both sides (boring!), and TV movies (silly). I've used my 20+ years in the nuclear industry to write an insider's account in an entertaining format, a thriller novel called "Rad Decision." It is available free online at RadDecision.blogspot.com No advertisting, no sponsors, no $$ for the author (even from the paperback at Amazon) - just the real world of nuclear, good and bad.

"I'd like to see Rad Decision widely read." - Stewart Brand.

Hank Scoprio said...

I'd delete this clearly cut and pasted book shilling if it wasn't for the crushing lonliness....woe is me for my comments section is so empty.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin