Friday, December 7, 2007

Long live Napster

Time to spin a yarn about MP3s.

I remember the first MP3 I ever downloaded, it was my JFK moment. I also remember the day that I discovered Napster, that was the day that finding music online reached its zenith. Napster and my DSL connection partnered to expand my knowledge and love of music for two glorious years. Following the demise of Napster there was a handful of also-rans that tried to fill the void; gnutella, kazaa, morpheus, limewire and winMX to name a few. Nothing has ever come along to match blessed simplicity and amazing breadth like Napster.

I may have finally found what may be the next best thing, SeeqPod. Think of SeeqPod as an MP3 specific search engine that indexes millions of web pages looking for MP3s. It's really only intended for you to be able to find and play music via its very nice web interface. SeeqPod does not have native capability to let you download an save songs to your computer or device. Of course if you were to search for a program called JaSeek you may find that it adds more features to the standard SeekPod interface.

Remember, Music Piracy is illegal. However, buying CDs only helps to support retail chains and to delude the dreaded RIAA into thinking that they are still a viable entity in the music world.

If you want to support musicians, pay to see them live and in person.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin