Friday, November 30, 2007

Podcasts

Let me start by saying that I have never and never intend to own an iPod. They are overpriced and are essentially a closed platform. Since I have a ten minute commute and spend 90% of my waking hours sitting at a computer stuffed with MP3s, I've never had the need for one. As a result, I was REALLY late to the podcast phenomenon and now I'm trying to make up for it.

Of course "podcast" is becoming a rapidly out of date term. Most devices are morphing from digital audio players to digital media players. The new found ability to play video is filtering down to the content originators and now some of my favorite podcasts are now video-based.

Revision3
My favorite of these new video podcasts(need a new term for these) can be found here: Revision3 Revision3 is a new animal, a television "network" made expressly for the internet but born from the ashes of the old TechTV. If you don't know the whole story of what happened to TechTV check out the Wiki entry. In a nushell Comcast & G4 took a fantastic group of talented people and ran them through a meat grinder. I mourned the loss of TechTV for a long time and until Revision3 came along I had to suffer with G4's craptastic vision of what's "cool" on the internet.

I'd say that TRS is my favorite followed by Diggnation and Systm. All of their shows are great but TRS is the shit.

TWiT
Most of the TWiT shows are rooted in traditional journalistic ideals while the Revision3 shows tend to cater to a 30ish and under crowd. Again, TWiT was started by TechTV refugees and is stuffed with great shows that tend to be more in depth and more technical but still very entertaining. My favorites are this WEEK in TECH and Security Now

Between those two "networks" alone you can occupy yourself for at least 12 hours a week.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin